Marathon

 


Darren Edwards has made history by completing seven marathons in seven days with a group of people raising money for charity. 40 people started the challenge in Russian and then travelled to Cape town, Perth, Dubai, Madrid, Fortaleza in Brazil and Miami. 

-What is a marathon?
-How do you complete a marathon?
-What kind of person do you have to to be to complete a marathon?
-Ask to children to describe a person who completes 7 marathons in 7 days - what would they look like?

Darren is paralysed from the chest down after a rock-climbing accident in 2017. Since then, Darren uses a wheelchair. This is how he has made history - he is the first person using a wheelchair to complete 7 marathons in 7 days. 

Here is a photo of Darren with another of the participants



Darren says, "After the accident I remember being told about the things I wouldn't be ale to do and how life would never quite be the same, and a lot of these messages were quite negative about what life would look like."

"I didn't want to be a different person just because I'm in a wheelchair."

- What does Daren mean by that?
-What sort of things do you think Darren was told?
- What was Darren's response to those messages?

"From the moment I fell, I was determined that whatever happened, I wouldn't let it stop me from trying to live the fundamental life I wanted. which was full of challenge and adventure. It's been a real rollercoaster journey but my life is as fulfilling and happy as it ever was."

- What challenges do you think Darren faces as a competitor in a wheelchair?
-How would you describe Darren today?
- How is Darren challenging stereotypes about disability?

Darren is getting married this year and he says his fall was just the start of his incredible journey; "All these things have happened; all of these things wouldn't have happened had that rock not collapsed beneath my feet."

- What can we learn from Darren?
- Why is this about No Outsiders? 

No Outsiders: Everyone different, everyone welcome by Andrew Moffat

www.no-outsiders.com 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Football

Family

Friends